Monday, January 31, 2005

Movie Review: The Sleeping Dictionary

The Sleeping Dictionary stars Hugh Dancy (Ella Enchanted, King Arthur) and Jessica Alba (Dark Angel, Honey) in a tale of what else, but forbidden love.

The setting is breathtaking 1930's Sarawak. John Truscott (Dancy) is an Englishman fresh out of college and sent to the wilds to become an assistant to the Colonial Govenor. To help him learn the language, he is given a "Sleeping Dictionary,"a local woman who is supposed to tutor him in the local language and perform "wifely duties," named Selima (Alba) Of course, they fall in love when they're not supposed too.

Truscott is sent back to England, only to return a year later with his new bride, who is the Govenor's daughter. This of course leads the forbidden lovers to attempt to reunite, uncovering secrets, and having to decide between the duty to one's country, or the duty to one's heart.

*****3 of 4****
I enjoyed the movie. Hugh is easy on the eyes and has a nice set of abs. There was a really long love scene in the middle, and of course, there were a bunch of frontal boob shots that I could have done without because, hey, I already have a set. I thought the Mother-In-Law made a wonderful vindictive bitch, and I'm sure the "authentic" dress of the locals wasn't so authentic. I also thought the ending built tension, but not in a satisfactory way. I think if it had a stronger end I would have liked it better, but what can ya do?

No comments: