Wednesday, March 23, 2005

A last word on Red Lake

I finally had my Ethnic Studies class today, and I was right. We did discuss the tragic events in Red Lake.

Our class consists of about forty future social studies teachers, and are taking this particular class to better understand how to teach about Indian cultures and to teach Native students. In this capacity, our class crafted a letter to the Red Lake Nation and the school community offering our prayers, thoughts, grief, and condolences.

I have had lots of "ohmigod" moments since I learned about what happened, but not once have I changed my mind about becoming a teacher. It still is a difficult though for me to consider that one day, I might possibly be placed in a similar situation. God willing, that will never happen and the Red Lake community will be able to find comfort and support in each other and other communities who are reaching out with prayers and support.

No comments: