Saturday, April 16, 2005

. . .And She Can Sing Too

Alrighty, I just got back from seeing Vanessa Carlton. Well, not actually just back since I've talked to Becky, peed, and contemplated my eye make-up.

The concert was pretty awesome. A band named McKinley Place opened. Throughout their amazing acoustic set, I was staring at the background vocalist and trying to place him. Here, it turns out, I have like three classes with him. Tosh and Anna both are talking about picking up their album and they're playing at the Carpet in May, so we'll probably try and see them there.

After a short intermission Vanessa came on stage. I know her radio singles and prior to this had been one of those people who enjoyed the music on the radio, but not much else. That has totally changed. She's one of those triple threats. She can write, she can sing, and she can play one hell of a piano. She's also very articulate, funny, humble, and totally relatable.

The set was simply her and the piano, and she was wearing this strapless pouffy dress that Erin would be madly in love with. The entire event was treated as if we were sitting in the living room and she was just playing around with some music and relating the stories behind them.

I'm still on a concert adrenaline high and I want some french fries or something. I guess I have to talk Toshia in to a late night food adventure.

No comments: