Monday, April 11, 2005

Squabbles

I am a member of many different message boards and groups, and it always fascinates me when the group dynamic takes a shift. Lately, the members of one of my Gilmore Girls groups are in a tizzy because we've been discussing the movie Sin City because Alexis Bledel (Rory) has a role in it and the show is on hiatus/reruns until sweeps. Things get to the point where people are hurling bad names and not nice swear words at each other until people start to threaten to quit. This is not a particular occurrence on that board, but all of them. Newbies annoy Regulars. Two Cent-ers annoy lurkers or occasional posters. And it all escalates in cycles.

By Soc prof insists there really isn't a thing called "human nature" because nobody can seem to define it, and humans produce both psychotic killers, Mother Theresa types, and nose pickers. So my question is, does the internet make people resort back to Middle school level bickering or something? Is it some sort of radio wave coming from the screen? Answer me back guys. I wanna know.

No comments: