Thursday, June 09, 2005

One Hot Date

This is, in reality, my movie review for Lords of Dogtown which I saw Sunday afternoon by myself. I had one hot date, whether that was me or Heath is up for debate. LOL.

Lords of Dogtown stars Emile Hirsch, Johnny Knoxville, and of course, that brilliant Aussie Heath Ledger. It's a story that takes place during the drought ridden mid-seventies when skateboarders took to people's backyard pools to perfect their fancy tricks and stuff.

Can you tell I was never any good at skateboarding? It's never really been my scene, but this movie brilliantly portrays themes of family and friendship while having a rocking soundtrack, slick skateboarding, and plenty of eye-candy for both sexes all while portraying a distinct snippet of time in America.

My favorite part of the movie is sort of a "sad" scene. Skip has lost his surf shop and he's crafting boards for someone else. He's wearing a do-rag and a blue t-shirt, sucking on a cigarette, and singing "Maggie." It is supposed to portray how far he has fallen, but I see it as a moment of lightheartedness, of bliss, before the world crushes in to stamp out pleasure again. I truly believe it's the little moments that make life worth living.

No comments: