Monday, July 18, 2005

"...Willy Wonka, Willy Wonka, The Famous Chocolateer..."(Movie Review)

This weekend I took in the Box office leader, Charlie and The Chocolate Factory not once, but Twice. I saw it Saturday with Anna and again on Sunday with Tosh, Smantha, and Jace.

I should probably start this review stating that I hated the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I'm not certain why, I just know when I was a kid, I couldn't stand it. Now, as an adult, I loved this Tim Burton/Johnny Depp collaboration on one of Roal Dahl's fun books.

This was signature Burton. Fun, stunning visuals (A giant pink seahorse boat takes a white-water rafting expedition on the chocolate river), slightly dark humor ("Everything in this room is edible, including me. But that children is called cannibalism and is frowned upon in many cultures."), catchy Oompa-Loompa song/dance numbers (one which mimics 80's hairband videos) and is overall a fabulous ride.

Johnny Depp was superb, but then again, the man has never had a bad performance. His Willy Wonka carries the movie along with his paranoia, isolation, social incompetence, and outright disdain for children.

One woman in the theater brought up the Michael Jackson idea, but personally, I find MJ creepy and Wonka a riot. The backplotting into Wonka's character should really ditch all MJ thoughts. Without all the prior hoopla, even she'd probably never have made the connection.

I'd definitely suggest you go to see it. Toshia enjoyed the first one more. But after all, movies are simply brain candy, and this one was a sweet treat.

No comments: