Monday, August 29, 2005

My Apologies To My Parent's Generation

Let me just start saying that I love movies. And not just the newbies that are coming out. One of my favorites is the musical Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

However, movies from the seventies suck. They are dry, boring, and morbid. My examples you ask? Deliverance and The Stepford Wives.

I loved Without A Paddle (Matthew Lillard, Dax Shepard, Seth Green). It was funny, exciting, relatable, and still explored themes like friendship, death, and self-discovery. While reading reviews of it, critics kept referencing Deliverance (Jon Voit, Burt Reynolds), so I thought, "Hey, sounds interesting."

Big Mistake!

Deliverance starts in a similar vein, a bunch of friends taking a last minute thrill trip where things go wrong. There ends the similarities.

The characters don't have too much depth, the dialogue is plain, and there's too much drag time between events. The main characters kill somebody, then spend half an hour hashing out what to do with the body. Even my thirteen year old sister stared at the television, then shouted in exasperation, "get on with it already."

No wonder Hollywood is currently into doing remakes of 70's movies. They sucked. The critics that are slamming them however must be relying on their nostalgia, because when I go to the movies I want to be entertained, not put to sleep.

No comments: