Friday, October 07, 2005

The Prince and The Pathetic

So. I finished reading The Frog Prince by Jane Porter. This book is amazing. It has a provocative title that appealed to me, and JQ had a glowing review (click on Other Great Reads. She's a writer. Her review is better than mine.) on her site.

I have never read a book where I have connected so well with a character. I mean I always have enjoyed characters for their wit, humor, sass, integrity, sexy sense of style, but I've never looked at a character and just wanted to bawl.

Holly Bishop is 25 and going through a divorce. She was married for 10 months and can't believe this is what her life is like. She feels empty, lifeless, and confused. She's not even sure how she's still moving because everything is so numb...And she's sick of being the good girl...Sick of fairy tales.

I have this horrible fear of failure. I just KNOW I'm the one who's going to be the giant fuck-up of the bunch. To see this girl, that I so completely relate to, fight through my biggest fear was scary and inspiring, yet I still felt so...Pathetic. It was very powerful. I've never been one for the Chick-lit, but Jane Porter knocked it out with this one.

No comments: