Monday, November 14, 2005

The Reason I Love Dairy Queens.

You read that and were thinking Whippy Dip weren't cha. Well that's not what I'm going to talk about. I'm going to talk about the OTHER Dairy Queen. The ones with the fake tiaras, tissue floats (some shaped like a giant potato), and create small town rivalries. Even I was once in the running to be a Dairy Queen. Well, actually in BL it's a potato, but they all stem from the same sort of thing.

This weekend I rented Drop Dead Gorgeous staring Kirstie Alley, Ellen Barkin, Kirsten Dunst, and Denise Richards. Brittany Murphy also stars, along with the original TV Batman, and my homestate Minnesota.

That's right. It was filmed right here in the good old land of 10,000 lakes, so be prepared for plenty of bad wannabe Ubetcha Norwegian accents, lutefisk jokes, tractors, and even a funny bit about the largest ball of twine.

Gladys Leeman is the organizer for Mount Rose's Princess America pageant and is especially excited because her daughter Rebecca will be running, exactly 20 years after Gladys herself won the title. However, she's got some stiff competition from Amber, the trailer park livin' tap dancer, and Tammy, the president of the Lutheran Sisters Gun Club. As the competition gets nearer, the girls start dropping like flies, and the hilarity (most of it kinda cheesy) ensues.

There is nothing more fun than to watch something while mocking yourself. I can truthfully see many similarities between this film and my hometown. Everything is over exaggerated though. From the sleazy judge to the womanizing pageant dad, but most especially Kirstie Alley's overdone accent that grated on my nerves by the end of the movie.

No comments: