Friday, March 17, 2006

Out Of The Shadows

I know Ashlee Simpson has gotten a lot of flack about her singing since the infamous SNL incident, but Jessica's edgier sister has a lot of appeal and one wicked set of pipes.

I Am Me is her sophomore effort and you can really see Ashlee's evolution into an artist. Or maybe I just really dig the sing along pop rock feel to songs like "Dancing Alone" and the title cut.

It doesn't really matter that "Boyfriend" could be a clue into the Lindsey Lohan catfight rumors or that "Say Goodbye" might be a direct result to the craziness that was her courtship with the every spiky Ryan Cabrerra. Ashlee uses vivid imagery in her lyrics, catchy fun beats, and pushes her smoky vocals.

While a few of the tracks seem to be the typical party filler them music ("Dancing Alone" "Burnin' Up"), the rest of the album is filled with uncertainty ("Catch Me When I Fall"), loss, self-identity ("I Am Me"), and a bit of idiocy (or guilt. "Coming Back For More") Isn't that how we feel when we know we're doing something that's bad for us?

Perhaps the most annoying track on the album for most people (prolly I Am Me's equivalent to "LaLa") "L.O.V.E" is my favorite, if unexpectedly so, track.

No comments: