Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Movie Homework

While Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series has been on my TBR pile for a while, I was forced to start it when S&SG gave me The Ultimatum. If I wanted to go with on our weekly movie theater jaunt, I had to go see Twilight this weekend.

This of course forced me to read the book (Hello. I gotta know what I'm comparing the movie to!).

Bella moves to the small town of Forks to live with her dad, so her mom can travel with her minor league ballplayer step-dad. Bella hates the small town, the greenness of the Olympic Peninsula, and misses sunny Phoenix. However, she is intrigued by the insanely perfect and standoffish Cullins Kids, in particular her Bio Lab partner Edward. There seems to be something off about them...like they're vampires.

It is VERY well written. To the point where the books weakness can be easily overlooked.

For instance:

*Bella thinks alot, but she is slow on the follow through. She is saved an awful lot by other people, albeit, they are mostly vampires with superior strength and reflexes. Maybe I just grew up in the Buffy generation, so I thing that Bella should have some ass-kicking moves too.

*Without having a real in depth conversation, she "in love" with her man. That's all good and sweet, and as a devoted romance fan that's great. But she's 17 and in high school. Have we not yet learned from Romeo & Juliet that at that age, it's much safer for everyone involved to be deeply in like. Love is deadly.

However, I love the characters (with the exceptions noted above) and the plot and writing are fab. I'm definitely stealing New Moon from my sisters over Thanksgiving break.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Those books suck you right in don't they? You don't even know how it happens, don't know when. Suddenly you're just stuck and craving more.