Thursday, September 23, 2004

Bizarre musician and Terrorism rant

Cat Stevens Had Scheduled Nashville Session (filched from here.)

Wed. September 22.2004 6:52 PM EDT

The singer-songwriter formerly known as Cat Stevens was en route to a recording session in Nashville when authorities removed him from a flight from London to Washington for what the Homeland Security Department has termed as "national security grounds." The planned Nashville visit was confirmed to CMT.com by a reliable source within the music industry. A convert to Islam, Stevens changed his name to Yusuf Islam more than two decades ago. He was taken from a United Airlines flight after it was diverted to Bangor, Maine, on Tuesday (Sept. 21). He was denied entry into the U.S. after officials received information regarding his connections to potential terrorists. On the home page of his official Web site, the Web master posted a message stating, "He has vehemently and consistently criticized terrorist acts and has always advocated peace through his songs and his extensive humanitarian relief work. He has traveled many times to the U.S., most recently two months ago on a visit with his record company. Any suggestion therefore that he poses a security risk due to alleged connections with terrorist activities is totally denied as it is simply wrong."

Has anyone actually listened to the man's singing? He's horrible. I know, biased opinion and all that crap, but I listen to A LOT of different sorts of music that no one would dream of actually listening to. I can't stand him. He's got the song selection of a three year old. The best song is Moon Shadow and I actually prefer Mandy Moore's version on her Coverage album. Did I mention I'm not really a Mandy Moore fan?

So it comes down to whether or not he's a risk to national security. The guy's a Muslim, that does not make him a terrorist. It's reported that he MIGHT have donated money to a terrorist organization. Well, as long has he deposits some moolah into the fund for his The-Lord-is-punishing-me-by-making-me-listen-to music-that-is-worse-than-monkey-in heat-calls-so-I-want-my-money-back lawsuit refund, I don't care about his religious affiliation. Maybe he can go record horrible religious albums for them.

And once again I repeat: Terrorism is a concept. It is not something you can fight with military backing and macho male posturing. You can fight the terrorist groups, not the terror itself. Besides Who defines a terrorist? If I do, it's my advisor who won't return my e-mails because she's seriously freaking me out.

No comments: