Monday, September 13, 2004

Books Books Books

First I promised my review of Bet me By Jennifer Crusie. I only planned to sit and read a few chapters wallowing in my pain. Instead, I stayed up till four in the morning reading it straight through. (I paid for it the next day during Geography though). I'm a big fan of Crusie's books, my favorite books ever being Welcome to Temptation and Faking it, both by her.

In Bet Me, Min is dumped by her latest boyfriend and is nagged into asking out Cal by her best friends because she needs a date to her sister's wedding. Cal is a Ladies man and gets into a bet with a client about sleeping with Min. Amid planning her sister's wedding, not dating Cal, learning to cook Chicken Marsala (whatever that is), and battling her mother's obsession with Min's weight, the two end up in something people call love.

Hum... I've read more books, two by Sandra Brown that were okay. Fanta C and Sunset Embrace. The first is a contemporary from the eighties and the second is a historical about a wagon train to Texas. They were both filler books. Nothing exciting. I enjoyed the latter the best.

Just finished Stephanie Laurens latest Cynster novel, The Ideal Bride. It wasn't quite up to par with the rest of the Cynster books. This deals with Michael Anstruther-Wetherby, who is Honoria Cynster's brother, so he's not directly a Cynster. And that shows in his character, it's not as well defined as the rest of the heros in past books by Laurens.

The story line also has a bit to be desired. Michael is a politician in need of a wife and Caro (the heroine) is a diplomat's widow. She spends the begining of the book trying to convince Michael that her niece is not his ideal bride, then the end trying to decide if she wants to marry Michael herself amid attempts on her life. It moved a bit slow.

Right now I have a Sandra Brown book on deck and Tosh has already read it and given it her okay.

No comments: