Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Gifted and Talented students. That's the topic of my next Ed. Psych class on monday. When I found this article about Marla on the BBC, I did one of those, "Hot Damn" dances in my head.

I don't know if this effects me so much because I'm going to become a teacher, because we're covering it in class, or because I know so many people labled "gifted and talented."

When I was in elementary school there was three schools in our community. The one I attended was mostly middle class kids. On "the hill" Highland consisted of the wealthy and the extremely unwealthy. Needless to say, they had the greatest number of fights break out there. Then there was North Park, where the gifted and talented students went, along with the richer kids that lived in that area. In middle school we all got jumbled together at Central and I made most of my friends with the North Parkee G&T's. It wasn't until much latter when my younger sister was shoved into the G&T testing that I found out that I too was once tested. I of course, wasn't insanly smart, but enough where my parents could have uprooted me to another school. I'm really glad they didn't though. I wouldn't be the person I am today if they did.

Back to Marla and her art, I am not a good patron of abstract painting. I like looking at pictures that resemble something. The down side to that statement is that I'm a horrible artist and I love painting weirdo things like that. Does that make me hypocritical? (Back to that damned bananna vs. bananna bread question). I dunno.

What do you think of people spending so much money on a four year olds paintings?


No comments: