Monday, October 18, 2004

Votes for Women

Today the Women's Center sponsored Iron Jawed Angels at Atwood Theater.

This movie rocked. It's got moder day music which would drive Tyler nuts since it's a historical, uh, sorta a biopic I guess. It tells the story of women's sufferage by focusing on Alice Paul and her National Women's Party. It also focuses in on some of her friends. One is a factory worker, one's a senator's wife, and then there's Lucy Burns, her best friend.

This movie has major star power, Anjelica Huston (ie Morticia Addams) Hilary Swank, and the guy that plays Andrew in Sweet Home Alabama.

It's bright and powerful, and makes me so glad I wasn't in a women's prison in the 1900's. I also never want to go on a hunger strike in nineteen teens when they force feed you uncooked eggs. No wonder the woman was tossing it back up. Yuck. Whoops. Bit of a movie spoiler there.

I would never have had the guts or stamina to do what she did. I think it's a good thing I'm little old me who's more concerned about her Major Application than the workings of the White House. Or, At least for this moment. Who knows about tomarrow.

Hum...I've got a movie poster still....and a journal to cover....They're really cute...Makes a statement...must think on this..


No comments: