Friday, November 05, 2004

A Viggo Review

By now, most of you should know that I'm crazy over Viggo Mortensen known to most of you as Aragorn from LOTR. I personally loved him as Strider when he was wet and slightly dirty.

*shakes self out of fantasy*

Anyhow, I've been a big fan of his since G.I. Jane, and was even more impressed when I found out that he's an artist and poet as well as an actor. I do like my men well rounded...

*starts drifting again*

Where was I? Well, I borrowed The Indian Runner from the library. I don't know exactly what I expected, but what I got was wonderful. It was written and directed by Sean Penn and was inspired by Bruce Springsteen's song Highway Patrolman (lyrics here.).

I never remembered hearing the song til I read the lyrics, and That is almost the story of the movie. There's some slight twists and turns, but it's true to its source. I am happy though, because when I was watching the movie I was trying to figure out where they were and it reminded me of Canada (to which I've never been) and so I assumed it was Michigan and I was right.

Joe is a sheriff in a small town trying to understand the anger that's harbored by his Vietnam Vet brother Frank. Things head in a downward spiral, then look like everything is going to work out before the last plot twist.

It's deep and dark and emotional and moving in a not quite typical Lisa way. I loved it. I'd give it a 4 of 4. A word of caution though, is that it seems to start a bit slow, and you have to pay attention to pick up the nuances.

No comments: