Saturday, November 06, 2004

A movie revelation...The end

I was watching Alex and Emma the other day and laughed at Kate Hudson's character Emma who read the end of books first to see if she wanted to get to the end. That's when I realized, as much as I love romantic comedy movies, I hate their endings. They all sort of end the same and they suck. The lovers somehow are separated and have to come together with a big kissing scene. Even in romance novels the endings can be less predictable than that. Two Weeks Notice I hated because of the ending. Other weak endings include Alex and Emma, How To Lose a Guy in Ten Days, Some one like you, Runaway Bride, even most of Kate and Leopold sucks, Not to mention What Women Want.

This leads me to realize that while the romantic comedy is a viable vehicle for box office success, the endings blow and that screws everything up. I even LOVE some of those movies, but their endings suck. A movie cannot end with a kiss. It's too cutesy, preditable, and nauseating. Besides if it's a comedy, shouldn't they end with a laugh? Or at least with a big dance number in which Patrick Swazy looks like he's trying to either have sexual intercourse with the floor or perform the ancient mating ritual of the ring tailed lemurs.

No comments: