Sunday, December 12, 2004

Just what color blue is it?

I just finished reading a thought provoking book. It's probably the first thing that's really gotten me humming this semester. And it wasn't what I expected it to be.

I finished reading Jane Pauley's autobiography, Skywriting: A Life Out Of The Blue, in a little under four hours. I'm not exactly sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't what I got.

I originaly thought I'd give the book a looksee because Jane has Bipolar. My mom has Bipolar, and there's a good chance that me or one of my sisters will have it too. I was in third grade when my mom was hospitalized and diagnosed. I remember my sister bringing home lice, saving all of my money to buy my very own bike, and getting a urinary track infection. I got to visit my mom once during that time. Me and my dad were on our way back from a trip to the doctor. I was jubilant because I managed to fill up one of those urine cups. Not an easy task for a clumsy nine year old.

But Jane's story didn't focus on her disease. It focused on a woman who was still on a life journey. I was reading about her striking out on her own, her highschool persona, and saw little pieces of me in there. I feel so restless still. This whole semester has been branded with that word. I feel restless, or I feel tired, or even worse, bored. I guess I'm looking forward to this Christmas break and the new year. I get to start over in some way. I get to gain a year to my age and a couple months to my experiences. But most of all, I get to lookforward and figure out why I've been so restless.

No comments: