Monday, September 26, 2005

It Ain't Easy Being A State (Movie Review)

While ducking my homework Sunday night, I popped my latest Library rental into the DVD player: Carolina, staring the ever talented Julia Stiles (Ten Things..., The Bourne movies), Shirley MacLaine (only the funniest woman on earth aside from Lucille Ball), Randy Quaid (Cousin Eddie from Christmas Vacation), and Jennifer Coolidge (aka Stifler's Mom).

Since I don't ever remember hearing about the theater release of this, I'm assuming it didn't hit. Which is probably a good thing since most romantic comedy's don't really fly. Even if it's hyped as being "As funny and charming as Sweet Home Alabama" right on the DVD case.

This one, however, certainly took off for me. Carolina (Stiles) is the oldest of three daughters being raised by their wacky Southern Grandma (MacLaine) in Southern California. Carolina yearns for a family that's a little more normal to fit in with her TV Game Show job, and seems to get her wish when a hunky Brit enters her life, much to the disappointment of her best friend Albert (who looks very familiar. He played Henry Crawford in Mansfield Park.) who has the hots for her. Did I mention Al secretly writes romance novels under a pen name? Which only adds to some very funny lines.

Example:
I'm not asking you to be a normal child, 'cause that's not the Mirabeau way. I'm just asking you to be a little smarter about your crazy side, okay?

The end is a bit predictable (Hello! It's a romance.) But the characters are so richly drawn and wonderfully acted from Randy Quaid's alcoholic father to Jennifer Coolidge's whorish Aunt Marylin to Mika Boorem who's moving up Hollywood ranks by being the lovable, if annoying younger sister (you should recognize her from Blue Crush).

3 of 4 Lightening Bolts. It's definitely being added to my DVD collection.

No comments: