Sunday, February 12, 2006

Die George Lucas Die!

I finally got to see Star Wars Revenge of the Sith. I want to understand why George Lucas felt he needed to wreck his Star Wars brilliance with these three sucky ass cardboard movies?

I love the original Star Wars. And I totally understand that to make such a brilliantly layered tale of heroism, selflessness, love, religion, hubris, (and a bazillion other adjectives and personality traits that are fully investigated in a humanities class) you need to have a background story for your characters. So why force everyone to watch that background story expecting depth and (quick look up a synonym for brilliant) compelling character situations.

No. You get a bad script, cardboard acting, confused audiences, stupid over the top special effects, one wicked fight scene with Yoda, and some tears (whether they were for poor Padame dying without getting to really see Luke and Leia or from the pathetically horrid lines and camera angles Natalie Portman had to deal with in that scene, I'm not really sure yet.)

And what's with the Frankenstein/Darth Vader symbolism. Obviously you've been influenced by Mary Shelley, George, you don't have to advertise. It made me burst out laughing. I'm glad I didn't see it in the movie theater because I'd have a bunch of die hard Star Wars/Computer Geek/thirty and forty year olds pelting me with popcorn and revolting in the theater. Because that scene was pure comic relief. It couldn't have supposed to be serious right? Right? (I think it was supposed to be serious and touching and tell you to keep your big head deflated)

Hey, S. I know it's months later (didn't it come out in like July?) but I finally saw it if you really want to discuss it.

*shakes head* And Ewan MacGregor looked really old and unhot in it. Sorta like Keifer Sutherland. He doesn't even get to use his cute accent really either.

No comments: