Monday, February 20, 2006

My Kind of feminist.

I think I can safely state to you guys that I'm a feminist. In fact, you guys know me so well, that I probably didn't even have to state that much. However, here is something I bet you didn't know...I think most of the feminists from the seventies were looby.

I think some of those vegetarian, hairy legged, egg-heads were totally nuts. And for the most part, I sit in my mind laughing at them in amusement. I mean I totally respect the things they did for womankind. And hey, I love knowing that if I wanted to work a gazillion times harder than I already am, I could be a highly paid astrophysicist and that it's totally because of my bra burning sisters from the seventies...But they're still wacked.

Susan Jane Gilman for the most part agrees with me. It's true that she's clearly got a tighter focus on her views, has stood up in the face of well, life and got her teeth knocked out, but hey. She's also way older than I am. (well, maybe not WAY older.)

I read her Hypocrite in a Poufy White Dress: Growing Up Groovy and Clueless over winter break and about died laughing. I know of no one else who would get a fancy schmancy job in Washington D.C. on The Hill, and then totally confess that on their first day on the job, the only thing they knew about Congress they learned from the School House Rock "I'm Just a Bill" jingle.

Then, for shits and giggles, I put a hold on her book Kiss My Tiara: How to Rule the World as a SmartMouth Goddess. I'm not sure which is funnier: reading her biting social commentary, or listening to her Grandmother's advice about life. I mean, come on! You choose between "Sure, beauty has the power to excite men. But so does a box of donuts" and "If God hadn't wanted us to touch ourselves, he would've made our arms shorter." Like Hello! too much competition. (Hey Mel, read this one too. It's a riot!)

No comments: