Wednesday, March 01, 2006

A Lesson in Social Psych

The "Who Am I" test was developed by McGuire to determine a person's spontaneous self-concept. Go ahead and number a paper one to twenty and commence writing descriptive sentences beginning with "I am..."

1. I am white.
2. I am the oldest of four girls.
3. I am sorta tall.
4. I am very loud.
5. I am kind of bossy sometimes, but call it leadership.
6. I am really freaked out about graduating next year.
7. I am really sick of living with Hiley.
8. I am out of milk at home.
9. I am not an organized person.
10. I am such a klutz.
11. I am going to NoDak this weekend to see my parents.
12. I am a Minnesotian, not a NoDaker.
13. I am getting paid on Friday.
14. I am out of clean pants.
15. I am really friendly, especially when I'm with others.
16. I am a woman.
17. I am in need of new tennis shoes.
18. I am an Urbanite. (as in Keith Urban)
19. I am sick of winter.
20. I am so gonna be broke after shopping today.

Then you have to code your answers:
A-physical/self-description
B-social self
C-psychological/traits/emotions/attitudes
D-Holistic stuff

The real surprise here, is the use of heuristics. Those are kinda like priming tools. They give you a place to start in your automatic thinking. Almost everything on my list I'd talked to Tosh about just prior to class at lunch. Scary thing that.

No comments: