Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Hey, your ignorance is showing

When I caught the headline of this article, all I thought was, you've gotta be kidding me? They're talking of never allowing certain soccer players to play again if they wear jewlery and have braided hair? And doing those things make them gay?

Then I wanted to kick my self because my ethnocentric side was showing. Of course these things aren't pervasive in other cultures. Is it wrong that I thought those thoughts? Mebbe. But, as an ignorant American I suspose I can be excused, even though I work hard to try and ditch broad generalized statements such as that.

I do find it interesting though, the arguments posed in this article being whether or not it's a display of african culture. In my ignorant, mythicised mind, I can see ancient african with jewlery, face paint, and fancy hair do's when going on hunts or to aid in battle, similar to the tribal ancestors here in North America. So I wonder if those ideas perpetuated in today's media of african warriors are indeed wrong, or if it is simply a more conservative committee that governs the dress code of their sports teams.


No comments: