Monday, October 11, 2004

Back in the day....

Today, with my afore mentioned procrastination brought out something in me that I haven't experienced for quite a while. Nerves.

I'm a rather, calm, cool, difficult to ruffle sort of person, but for some reason ten minutes before my test I shot my adrieniline high as a, to be cliched, kite. Who talked me down? My wonderful friend Angel.

It was like being back in highschool at speech meets. I'd get on the bus calm as you please, normally still in my pjs and carrying a pillow and blanket. We'd get to the school contest site and I'd change into my dress clothes (or I'd do it on the bus) and chill for a while with my CD player until we were all signed in. Then I would collect all my papers and wait to rock and roll.

However, on some days, like when I changed my selection, my first time in a new category, or if the meet was right after school I'd be so wired I'd need someone to take me down a notch. So I'd follow Angel around and annoy her with questions while she was trying to go through her own competition warm-ups, which normaly consisted of talking to walls.

That just never did it to me. I'd talk to chairs, or windows, or plants, or once I did my whole speech to a paper towel dispenser, but looking at the plain bricks on the walls. Nope. I guess I just didn't have the heart.

No comments: